By: Sarah Fordham
Whether you anticipate familial festivities or plan to hunker in your apocalypse bunker over the winter holidays, tasty treats are always in order. These delectable and rich cupcakes promise to both entertain and sustain. They fuse succulent, chocolate chip-studded, fudgy cake with the refreshing zip of candy cane glaze. Enjoy these cupcakes as a last scrumptious send-off or a bite of holiday cheer!
Makes 24 Cupcakes
1 18 oz. box devil’s food cake mix
1 4 oz. box chocolate pudding mix
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 cup chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
¼ cup crushed candy canes
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Put cupcake papers in tins.
- Beat cake mix, pudding mix, oil, eggs, water, sour cream, and ½ tsp. peppermint extract until smooth.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter into cupcake tins and bake 25-30 minutes.
- Cool cupcakes ten minutes in tins, then remove them to cool fully on a rack.
- In a bowl, stir powdered sugar with ½ tsp. peppermint extract and a few drops of water to a thick but flowing consistency. Add water as needed.
- Spoon glaze over cooled cupcakes and top with crushed candy canes.